We are excited to invite photographers for inclusion in the next SPACE Open Exhibition at the Orms Cape Town School of Photography this September. Find all the information and requirements for submissions here…
Submissions have now closed!
We are once again offering you the opportunity to submit your work for the upcoming SPACE Exhibition on September 29th. The show will feature 30 curated images selected by the Orms creative team, this will form part of The Orms Cape Town School of Photography exhibition that showcases the work by our full and part-time students.
Exhibition Theme: The Perfect Portrait
Being able to take a beautiful, interesting, innovative or striking portrait of someone is a wonderful challenge, and in many cases, a rare gift.
This month, we would like to invite all Orms clients to take part in the act of looking: of carefully considering your timing, choosing the moment and waiting for the synchronicity between photographer, subject, camera settings and available light to fold into your lens at the instant the shutter is released.
We are interested in this synchronicity, in the split second that you are able to capture a portrait that either represents an aspect of what you perceive to be the identity or character of the person (or animal) in front of you OR a portrait that mirrors what you see when you look at that person (or animal).
On the 25th of August, at Orms Cape Town School of Photography, lecturer, Eugene van der Merwe will be discussing all of the above and more in his Open Crit Session on “The Perfect Portrait”. We would like to invite all those who are considering taking portraits for submission to join Eugene and pick up on all the juicy tips and portrait secrets. You can find more info and book here.
The exhibition will be held at the Orms Cape Town School of Photography on September 29th, 18h00 – 20h00. Everyone is most welcome, so please make a note in your diary, we would love to see you there.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WORK
- Photographers of all levels are welcome to submit their most prized photographs.
- The theme for this exhibition is “The Perfect Portrait” as described above, submissions need to relate to the theme.
- Your images need to be submitted via the form below by September 20th, 2016 by the end of the day. Please note, that we cannot accept any images after this date as we will not have enough time to curate, print and hang the exhibition.
- Each submitted photograph needs to be named as per the example in the submission form below. Please note that images not named in this way will not be valid.
- Images will be curated on September 21st.
- Photographers who have successfully passed the curation process and who will have their work included in the exhibition will be notified by September 27th.
- Please note that the contact form will not submit if you haven’t completed all your information, submitted an image and tick all 3 the boxes below. You also need to make sure you have the correct image sizes.
- The exhibition will have a standardised display, meaning the images will need to be printed and displayed in the same way. Therefore, all images will be printed in A3 size by Orms. If you’d like to print or frame your work differently, feel free to discuss it with us – email firstname.lastname@example.org. Should your work already be framed or mounted, please include images of this so that we can see if this fits in with the exhibition.
SUBMIT YOUR IMAGES
Submissions have now closed!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Only work submitted via the submission form above will be valid. Images must conform to the image guidelines as above. Each contributing photographer must own the copyright to the images they submitted.
- The form above allows for two images to be submitted at a time, you can, however, refresh the page and submit additional images if you wish to do so.
- Please note that the contact form will now submit if you haven’t completed all your information, submitted an image and tick all 3 the boxes below. You also need to make sure you have the correct image sizes.
- Copyright remains with the photographer, however, by agreeing to the terms and conditions the photographer agrees that his/her work can be used for the promotion of the exhibition.
- Contributing photographers will not be responsible for the printing of their work as Orms will be sponsoring the SPACE Exhibition (September 2016).
- The exhibition will be up at the Orms Cape Town School of Photography between September 29th – October 14th, 2016.
- Should there be a lack of interest, Orms reserves the right to cancel the exhibition.
- You may use the exhibition as a platform to sell your work, however, pricing won’t be displayed on the photographs during the course of the exhibition. The purchase price is entirely up to the photographer. Those interested in purchasing any of the works will deal with the photographer directly and privately – Orms will not be involved in any way.
Why the name “SPACE”?
An element of art, space refers to distances or areas around, between or within components of a piece. Space can be positive (white or light) or negative (black or dark). Open or closed. Shallow or deep and two-dimensional or three-dimensional. Sometimes space isn’t actually within a piece. But the illusion of it is. Space is the breath of art. [Frank Lloyd Wright]