Submissions for Orms Circle, the Orms mentorship programme, are now open!
Orms celebrates the importance of belonging to a strong professional network as a powerful means to share experiences, resources and establish invaluable relationships. This womxn’s month, Orms welcomes the launch of a programme which provides one young female-identifying artist with the platform to break into the art industry! The selected artist will have access to the necessary facilities for the creation of a body of work to be exhibited in collaboration with Orms in February 2020.
Spearheaded by Anelisa Mangcu – a curator and growing force in the art community – Orms Circle will also include several other mentors with a range of expertise within the creative industry such as Haneem Christian, Tyra Naidoo, Toby Orford, and Savannah Feeke. Together, this group of industry professionals will educate, challenge and empower the selected artist.
Orms Circle will grant the artist the opportunity to create a body of work with the support of the mentors, as well as their first solo exhibition that will be hosted by Orms at FORM, our new creative space, and curated with the guidance of Anelisa Mangcu. The artist will enjoy the use of a dedicated studio space, photographic and lighting equipment as well as printing and framing services for the concluding exhibition in Cape Town.
Listen to Anelisa Mangcu talk more about Orms Circle on Orms Air the Orms Podcast here.
The artist/photographer will own the intellectual property and physical work created during the Orms Circle mentorship programme.
Applications Open: 16 August 2019 – 13 September 2019
The successful applicant will be contacted by 30 September 2019
- Artist statement describing your practice.
- Portfolio of existing work, not exceeding 20 images, to be submitted via WeTransfer. Include link in online submission below.
- Proposal of no less than 500 words describing the work you aim to either finish, or create during the mentorship programme to accompany your digital submission.
Submit your application with the following attachments via WeTransfer:
- A motivational letter
- A copy of your Identity Document or Passport
- Your profile picture
- Contactable references with the appropriate telephone numbers and e-mail addresses
Important to note: When submitting your attachments via WeTransfer you need to select the “send as link” option and NOT “send as email”. Once you have that link you need to copy and paste it into the field below.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18 – 30 years old.
- Applicants must not have had a solo exhibition in the past.
- Applicants must be available for a telephonic, in-person or Skype interview in September 2019.
- No formal training is required.
- Applicants must be available to participate for the entirety of the mentorship programme.
- Travel costs, meals, taxes, insurances of any nature will not be included.
- By applying for this mentorship programme and submitting your images you acknowledge and consent to your images being used for marketing purposes.
- Only entries submitted through the form hosted on Orms Connect will be accepted and considered.
- One artist will be selected for the mentorship at the judges’ discretion. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The judges reserve the right to cancel the programme or extend the submission period should they feel there is no suitable applicant.
The mentorship programme includes:
- Studio space
- The use of available camera and studio gear*
- Use of studio lights, on-site at FORM, Orms’ new creative space
- Advertising through the Orms Connect (the Orms blog) and social platforms, of your work
- An exhibition at FORM at the end of the programme (February 2020)
- Printing and framing of the exhibition will be covered by Orms**
The selected artist will be required to give monthly updates in the form of creative journaling, to Orms which will be shared on the Orms Connect blog.
* Dependant on what is available in our rental department. Please note that the selected artist will need to provide their own memory card for use during the residency.
** To be discussed and agreed upon once the artist is selected and based on their specific needs.
Update: Submissions have now closed.