The Cape Town Month of Photography’s Grand Opening is taking place tonight! Here’s all the details and highlights.
The sixth Cape Town Month of Photography is celebrating their grand opening this evening at the Castle of Good Hope. The event is open to the public, so don’t miss out!
MOP6 is all about showcasing incredible photographic works at exhibitions, and sharing knowledge via workshops and gallery walkabouts hosted by some of South Africa’s top photographers. The festival actually kicked things off two weeks ago during Creative Week, with plenty of workshops and talks being presented, and a few exhibitions already opening. However, the majority of exhibitions will be opening this week during the Month of Photography’s three grand opening evenings, which includes First Thursdays.
Here’s a few highlights of MOP6. Visit the official website to view the entire calendar.
- Shani Judes – Public Pool. Opened on 15 September at Little Cape Photo Centre.
- Kyle Weeks – Ovahimba Youth Self Portraits. Opened on 20 September at Johans Borman Fine Art.
- David Lurie – Morning After Dark. Opened on 23 September at Commune.1.
- MOP6 Grand Opening Night One on 30 September at The Castle of Good Hope.
- Francki Burger – Battlefields. Opening on 30 September at The Castle.
- Fanie Jason – 10 of my favourites. Opening on 30 September at The Castle.
- MOP6 Grand Opening Night Two on 1 October at SA National Gallery and Company Gardens.
- POPCAP ’14, a public space group exhibition opening on 1 October in the Company Gardens.
- MOP6 Grand Opening Night Three during First Thursdays Cape Town on 2 October.
- First Thursday Initiative, a group exhibition opening at Youngblood on 2 October.
- The P.A.P.A Collection, a group exhibition opening at the Gallery For Archival Photography on 2 October.
- Gregor Rohrig – Organic Metal. Opening at New Heritage Gallery on 2 October.
- New Thoughts: After Time, a group exhibition opening at 6 Spin Street on 2 October.
- The Stern Exchange, a collaborative exhibition opening at The Irma Stern Museum on 4 October.
As you can tell, there’s a lot happening! Be sure to visit some of the exhibitions to soak in the visual inspiration. The Grand Opening tonight will start at 17:30 for 18:00 at The Castle of Good Hope. Parking should be available on the Grand Parade. Orms will be there to hand over the grand prize consisting of a Canon 5D Mark III DSLR and a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens!
Here’s a few teaser images of some of the works that will be on display during MOP6:
Featured Image: Ashley Walters – Mathew’s Birthday, Lantana Road, Uitsig, 2013.
Fabrice Fouillet – Colosses, showing at Youngblood.
Frans Smit – Poppy, showing at 6 Spin Street.
Ginger Odes – Adderley St, showing at P.A.P.A.
Jenny Altschuler – The Face & The Facade, showing at Casa Labia Cultural Centre.
Jodi Bieber – Quiet, showing at Youngblood.
Nobukho Nqaba – Untitled, showing at Kalk Bay Modern.
Pranab Basak – INDIAFRICA Showcase at Sellenbosch Academy of Design & Photography.