Learn more about Sony’s new full-frame Alpha 7 and 7R mirrorless cameras, including local pricing and availability information.
Watch the impressive announcement video:
As mentioned, both the A7 and A7R offer Sony’s full-frame Exmor CMOS image sensors, with A7 featuring a 24.3 megapixel sensor with phase-detect autofocus points, and the A7R featuring a high resolution 36.4 megapixel sensor.
Sensors aside, the cameras are nearly identical. Lenses attach via Sony’s E-mount – the same mount used on their NEX range of mirrorless cameras, with Sony announcing five new full-frame lenses to be used with the A7 and A7R. They also created a mount converter, which enables you to use any existing Sony or Zeiss Alpha-mount lens with the new cameras.
- A7: 24.3 megapixel full-frame format CMOS sensor with on-chip phase-detect autofocus.
- A7R: 36.4 megapixel full-frame format CMOS sensor without optical low-pass filter.
- Fast Bionz X image processor.
- XGA resolution OLED electronic viewfinder.
- Moisture and dust resistant magnesium allow body.
- Full HD 1080p video recording with clean HDMI output.
- NFC and WiFi for wireless sharing.
Local Pricing and Availability
The new Alpha 7 and 7R cameras and full-frame E-mount lenses will be available in South Africa towards the start of next year, and pricing for the Sony Alpha 7 should start below R20,000, making it one of the most affordable full-frame cameras on the market.
We’ll have final pricing information and list the cameras for pre-order on Orms Direct closer to the local launch.
*Update – The Sony Alpha A7 and Sony Alpha A7R are now available from Orms Direct. You can view all the latest prices, models and kits here.