We’ve joined up with Sea Search to give four lucky winners the opportunity to join the team onboard one of their survey trips and experience marine mammal research first hand!
Calling all photographers! We’ve joined up with Sea Search to give four lucky winners the opportunity to join the team onboard one of their survey trips and experience marine mammal research first hand! In the video below you will find out about the fantastic work Sea Search is doing around our coastline, as well as the answer to the competition question! Simply watch the video and complete the entry form below.
Made possible by Canon South Africa.
This Competition is now Closed!
About the Prize
During these boat-based surveys, a minimum of 2 researchers will actively look for whales and dolphins, while registering environmental variables such as water depth, sea surface temperature and weather conditions. If we spot whales or dolphins, the animals will be approached while recording their behaviour and taking as many photographs as possible of their dorsal fins for later analysis. When possible, acoustic recordings will be made to register the animals’ vocal activity.
These surveys are usually conducted during weekdays, last between 3 to 4 hours and are strongly weather dependent. The area surveyed varies between False Bay and Table Bay depending on weather and species of focus. Please bear in mind that not all surveys result in the sighting of whales and/or dolphins, and/or spectacular behaviour. Sometimes we see no animals at all, which is also interesting data for us!
1. Prize is a 3 to 4 hour boat trip on a research vessel with the scientists from Sea Search. Note that this is not a pleasure cruise and that the crew can not guarantee the viewing of whales, dolphins etc.
2. The prize excludes travel cost, meals and drinks or any other personal expenses. Insurance relating to the trip is the sole responsibility of the winners.
3. The winners (should be aged 18 or over) must be in good health. Will be required to wear a life vest, adhere to any safety instructions stated by the skipper and crew of the research vessel as well as sign an indemnity form.
4. The trip will be taken between February and March – subject to weather conditions and availability.
5. No exchange for money – the prize is awarded as is.
About the competition:
- The winner will be selected randomly, and will need to be a fan of Orms on Facebook, follow Orms on Twitter or Instagram – as well as given the correct answer to the question
- The competition closes Sunday 31 January 2016.
- The winner will be contacted within one week of the competition closing.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to contact the winner(s). If the winner(s) cannot be contacted, or are unable to comply with these terms and conditions, the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to someone els
- By submitting your email address, you give us permission to send you Orms marketing emails. You can easily unsubscribe in the future using a link provided in every newsletter. We will not release your details to other parties.
- This competition is open to SA residents only 18 years and older
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
Please note: We make use of Random.org to randomly generate the number corresponding to the winner for the prize. We run the number generator once – the first number will be the winner. All entries get checked for duplicates. The nature of this random system ensures that everyone has a fair chance of winning, which is very important to us. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Twitter.